Sunday, September 21, 2014

Blog Post 5

What are Personal Learning Networks (PLN)? How can they help you as a teacher? How are they formed? How can you create your own PLN? Who will be the first additions to your PLN?

A PLN (Personal Learning Network) is a quality list of a set of tools, resources, and people that you can rely on to help you, collaborate and consult with, and assist you with just about anything you could possibly need when doing research for a project or any kind of learning experience. When I first came into this blog post assignment, I had no idea what a PNL is. I had never heard of it in school growing up, which truly shows how technology in school systems has advanced, considering that elementary through high schoolers rely on these for research. When I began looking in to this post, I found the sources Personal Learning Networks Are Virtual Lockers for Schoolkids within Vicki Davis's blog, Developing A Personal Learning Network by my EDM310 teacher John Strange, and Welcome to My PLE! very helpful in discovering what a PLN is, how to set one up for myself, and how to use it.

When I began to look in to PLNs and how I was going to begin to create my own, I decided to use Symbaloo and see how it could all work. So far I have an account set with Symbaloo connected to my Google account, in fact, I went ahead and made it my official homepage because of how useful I found it. Within Symbaloo, you can pick and choose your own icons and, what they call, Webmixes that are quick links to practically any social media, news, research, and entertainment website out there. For example, I have all of my social medias that I am a part of on mine along with ABC, NBC, and CBS news, The New York Journal, The Huffington Post, and other basic things such as Google, Google drive, and Gmail. When I saw that I can pick basically anything to help enhance my learning experience, I figured why not have every possible link on there for my to access. The more links I acquire, the more opportunities I will have to learn and find new information. Here are actually some pictures of my Symbaloos:

2 comments:

  1. "...the more opportunities I will have to learn and find new information." Take advantage of those opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not hear of Symbaloo before. I really like the set up of the program. It looks very organized and easy to use. Good post!

    ReplyDelete